UC Davis employs approximately 900 postdoctoral scholars who contribute to the academic community by enhancing the research and education programs of the university. The postdoctoral experience emphasizes scholarship and continued research training. UC's postdoctoral scholars bring expertise and creativity that enrich the research environment for all members of the university community, including graduate and undergraduate students.
In November 2008, the International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW) was recognized as the exclusive representative of UC postdoctoral scholars. Individuals in the following titles are in the postdoctoral Scholar bargaining unit (coded as the PX unit):
- Postdoctoral Scholar — Employee (Title Code 3252)
- An appointment is made in the title Postdoctoral Scholar Employee when (1) the agency funding the salary requires or permits the appointee to be an employee of the University, or (2) whenever General Funds, Opportunity Funds or other University discretionary funds are used to support the position.
- Postdoctoral Scholar — Fellow (Title Code 3253)
- An appointment is made in the title Postdoctoral Scholar Fellow when the Postdoctoral Scholar has been awarded a fellowship or traineeship for postdoctoral study by an extramural agency and the fellowship or traineeship is paid through a University account.
- Postdoctoral Scholar — Paid Direct (Title Code 3254)
- An appointment is made in the title Postdoctoral Scholar - Paid Direct when the Postdoctoral Scholar has been awarded a fellowship or traineeship for postdoctoral study by an extramural agency and the fellowship or traineeship is paid directly to the Postdoctoral Scholar, rather than through a University account. These appointments will have a “without salary” status.
Postdoctoral scholar appointments are intended to provide a full-time program of advanced academic preparation and research training. Appointment as a postdoctoral scholar requires a doctoral degree (Ph.D., M.D.) or foreign equivalent. Individuals pursuing clinical fellowships and residencies in the health sciences are excluded from appointment to these titles.
Postdoctoral scholar appointments are temporary and have fixed end dates. Appointments are normally one year's duration. Initial appointment of a postdoctoral scholar shall be for a minimum of one year. Subsequent appointments may be shorter than a year, under limited circumstances. Total duration of an individual's postdoctoral service may not exceed five years including postdoctoral service at other institutions.
Below is the salary scale in affect for new appointments and renewals on or after March 1, 2014.
- Appointment Step for Experience Level
- Minimum Salary/Stipend Rates
- 0 (0-11 months)
- 1 (12-23 months)
- 2 (24-35 months)
- 3 (36-47 months)
- 4 (48-60 months)
- 5 (61-72 months) by exception
Less than 100% Time Appointments
Postdoctoral scholar may request appointments for less than 100% time (total of all appointments) for one of three reasons: health, family responsibilities or external employment. The postdoctoral scholar and the PI must complete a memorandum of understanding regarding the responsibilities and duties to be expected. See the Petition for Exception.