Professors for the Future (PFTF) is a year-long competitive fellowship program designed to recognize and develop the leadership skills of outstanding graduate students and postdoctoral scholars who have demonstrated their commitment to professionalism, integrity, and academic service. This unique program, sponsored by Graduate Studies, focuses on the future challenges of graduate education, postdoctoral training, and the academy. Professors for the Future is designed to prepare UC Davis doctoral students and postdoctoral scholars for an increasingly competitive marketplace and a rapidly changing university environment.
In This Section
The Professors for the Future program enhances graduate education and postdoctoral training in several ways:
- PFTF fellows work on projects of their own design to enhance the graduate or postdoctoral experience and professional development of their colleagues. These projects are then presented at an end-of-year colloquium, open to all interested members of the university.
- All fellows receive formal training-in-teaching methods and course design through either the Seminar on College Teaching or self-selected workshops provided by the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning.
- PFTF fellows participate in a seminar course on Ethics and Professionalism in the University.
- Fellows meet regularly for roundtable panel discussions to promote the participants' professional development, intellectual growth and leadership skills
- Each fellow receives a $3000 stipend.
Fellows are selected from nominations by faculty, administrators, fellow graduate students or postdoctoral scholars based on a written application and interview process that demonstrates:
- A desire to contribute to graduate education and/or postdoctoral training by designing and completing a project beneficial to other students and scholars.
- Potential for leadership and academic service.
- Commitment to the academy and scholarly pursuits.
- Completion of the Ph.D. qualifying examination
- Current status as a postdoctoral scholar or enrolled graduate student
The selection process for the Professors for the Future program involves being nominated by any UC Davis affiliate (faculty, student, or staff) and submitting an application and support documents (C.V. and unofficial graduate school transcripts). Two letters of recommendation and recommendation forms are also required. The nomination, recommendation, and application forms are available on this page.
All Professors for the Future fellows propose and develop projects designed to address the needs of UC Davis graduate students and postdoctoral scholars.
Projects may involve the creation of a workshop series or class, a study of a problem or concern faced by graduate students and/or postdocs, or even the a large-scale event such as a symposium. You can view the results of past projects and learn more about the current fellows' projects by visiting this page.