As of October 1, 2018, the Cascade web content management system (CMS) will be retired by UC Davis. As such, Graduate Studies will provide a series of workshops and work groups that assist graduate programs and graduate program coordinators with transitioning website content across platforms. The SiteFarm Migration Series is open to all graduate programs and groups, with priority given to those who currently use Cascade. As part of the migration, we will host work groups where Cascade users bring their laptops and collaborate with other graduate programs to apply workshop lessons and actively prepare and build out web pages.
Workshops from February to May focus on assessing your current web pages, social media to prepare for the SiteFarm template. These examine faculty and graduate coordinators precedences (targeting diverse populations and underrepresented minorities, identifying priorities for content, and integrating social media) and how to set up content for the new site.
Workshops from June - September teach users how to gradually populate the template. Attendees will collaborate with other programs and graduate coordinators to understand how to add content and take part in workgroups to strengthen SiteFarm comprehension.
All sessions are open to all graduate coordinators or graduate program web builders. Space is limited and current Cascade users have priority for each session.
Workshops (1 hour)
|Topic||Date and Time||Location||Register|
|Digital Diversity: Broadening Virtual Equity and Inclusion With Online Content||February 28, 2018 | 12:00 pm||61 Mrak Hall||Presentation|
Creating Easy-to-Use Websites
|March 20, 2018 | 12:00 pm||61 Mrak Hall||Presentation|
Social Media 101: Choosing and Integrating Appropriate Platforms
|April 24, 2018 | 12:00 pm||63 Mrak Hall||Presentation|
Introduction to SiteFarm
|May 22, 2018 | 12:00 pm||63 Mrak Hall||Presentation|
Building A Useful Homepage
|June 19, 2018 | 12:00 pm||63 Mrak Hall|
Student Resources and Contact Forms
|July 17, 2018 | 12:00 pm||63 Mrak Hall||Presentation
Putting It All Together
|August 7, 2018 | 12:00 pm||63 Mrak Hall|
Work Groups (1 hour)
|Topic||Date and Time||Location||Register|
|Designing Content for Diverse Audiences||March 6, 2018 | 12:00 pm||61 Mrak Hall||Presentation|
Creating a Program Directory and Home Page
|April 10, 2018 | 12:00 pm||63 Mrak Hall||Presentation|
Accessible Navigation and Toolbars
|June 21, 2018 | 12:00 pm||61 Mrak Hall|
Final Publishing Work Group
|September 25, 2018 | 12:00 pm||61 Mrak Hall||Register|
- Who can attend these meetings?
- Workshops and work groups are available to any graduate group or program faculty and/or staff. Priority is given to those with websites currently on Cascade.
- How many people from my graduate group should we send?
- Graduate groups and programs should limit attendees to 1-2 people, as space is limited.
- I missed an event! Will slides be available from workshops and workgroups?
- Yes. Slides will be posted on this page after each event.
- Do I need to attend every session?
- It is recommended that you attend as many workshops and work groups as possible. Alternate workshops and work groups will not be available. However, each one will give attendees a chance to collaborate across campus and use each other to answer questions and support the migration.
- I have my content and web pages mapped. Can I only attend the last sessions?
- Each session builds upon prior meetings and helps define priority content based on analytics and the user experience. The first sessions give programs a chance for a content asset assessment that will better serve future applicants and current students. As we progress through the series, programs identify best practices for executing content, building new material, connecting to social media, and improving reach to diverse audiences.
- Can we create a SiteFarm page on our own?
- Yes. We provide a SiteFarm template based on website analytics and best practices for UC Davis graduate group and programs. This workshop and workgroup series is intended to expand from best practices for UC Davis Graduate Studies, and expand templates based upon program needs and for those without resources for full web development.
- Will Grad Studies completely build my site for me?
- No. Grad Studies will guide participants on content preparation and facilitate work groups to address technical needs in SiteFarm for programs to gradually build out websites before the October 1st, 2018 deadline.
- Is this a full Sitefarm training course?
- No. Workshops and work groups will give users the basics for building a SiteFarm website that contains the essentials for a graduate program. While future workshops will be available in 2019, the migration series focuses on moving Cascade pages to SiteFarm before the October 1st, 2018 end date. More courses are available on the UC Davis SiteFarm page.