About the Program
Leaders for the Future is seeking PhD students and postdoctoral scholars who seek to engage in immersives (internships, job shadowing, projects). The program provides training in the skills needed to excel in diverse careers across industry, government and more.
Leaders for the Future provides immersive experiences (internships, job shadowing, short projects, etc.) outside of academia. Cutting-edge training in leadership skills, business communication, project management, innovation and entrepreneurship is provided to participants from all disciplines—including humanities, social sciences and STEM—through a series of workshops and other activities.
Program Eligibility & Requirements
To be eligible for this program, candidates must be:
- Must be a PhD Candidate on active student status (not on filing fee status or PELP), with priority given to those who have completed qualifying exams by program start (September 2018) or a postdoctoral scholar (title codes 3252, 3253, 3254, 3255, or 3256) in any discipline.
- In current program or appointment through the duration of Leaders for the Future program (September 2018 - May 2019)
Successful completion of the Leaders for the Future program requires:
- Attendance at all required program events: September 2018 - January 2019
- Closing presentation at Closing Bootcamp.
OTHER RECOMMENDED ACTIVITIES (optional)
Career Studio (self-organized gatherings of Leaders for the Future fellows from past and present cohorts for group work on resumes, cover letters, social media/LinkedIn profiles, interview preparation and other topics. Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, GradPathways and Internship and Career Center events, workshops and programs.
How to Apply
- Application Form (below): Demographic information and two short-answer essay questions.
- Cover letter with a resume or CV. For formatting and layout ideas, see sample resumes http://icc.ucdavis.edu/materials/resume/samples.htm#advancedresumes
- Recommendation letter and form: To be completed by your Major Professor or Principal Investigator - please provide this link to your letter writer: https://grad.ucdavis.edu/node/40512
All application materials are due Monday, August 13, 2018 by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time. Priority will be granted to those applicants who articulate their intent to participate in an immersive experience.
Questions: Please contact Leaders for the Future Program Coordinator, Marjannie Akintunde, PhD, Internship and Career Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 530.752.8342.
Leaders for the Future is a collaboration between the Office of Research, Internship and Career Center, GradPathways (Graduate Studies) and the Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Funding is provided by the State of California through Assembly Bill 2664: University of California Innovation and Entrepreneurship Expansion.