• Using Fillable PDF Forms - Forms are linked through Box.  First, download the file as a PDF, then complete the fillable PDF fields.
  • Submitting Forms - Submit completed forms to your Graduate Program Coordinator according to your department process. Coordinators are responsible for sending forms to Graduate Studies by uploading/emailing to the GS Submitted Box.  
  • Electronic signatures are permitted on all Graduate Studies forms.  Students may use any format.  Faculty should use their Adobe signature, a signature format used by the program (e.g. docusign), or a facsimile of their original signature.  
  • Forms with Fees - Candidacy, Filing Fee, and Readmission fees can be paid online at the GS Forms Store (link available on the forms) or by submitting a check or money order to the Cashier's Office. If paying online, you will receive an email receipt which must be forwarded to your Graduate Program Coordinator.

Form Categories


Candidacy for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy, Plan A (GS320)
Candidacy for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy, Plan B (GS321)
Candidacy for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy, Plan C (GS322)
Candidacy for the Master's Degree - Thesis Plan I (GS313)
Candidacy for the Master's Degree - Comprehensive Exam/Project Plan II (GS314)
Candidacy for the Master of Fine Arts (GS339)

Committee Membership & Graduate Advisor Appointment

External Committee Membership Application (GS311)
Reconstitution of Committee Membership Request (GS332)
Graduate Advisor Appointment Nomination (GS400) - for program use

Designated Emphases & Graduate Certificates

Designated Emphasis Application (GS323)
Designated Emphasis Report Form - Final Verification (GS324)
Graduate Academic Certificate (GAC) / Graduate Academic Unit Certificate (GAUC) Application (GS309)
Graduate Academic Certificate (GAC) / Graduate Academic Unit Certificate (GAUC) Report Form - Final Verification (GS310)

Dissertation/Thesis Filing

Graduate Program Exit Information (GS312)
Thesis/Dissertation Release Agreement (GS350)
Title Page Template

Fellowships & Funding

Graduate Student Eligibility Checklist (GS103)
Graduate Student Travel Award Application (GS514)
Statement of Economic Interests for Principal Investigators, State of California
Non-Government Sponsors and No Human Subjects Use (Form 800, Contracts & Grants)
CGS/UMI Distinguished Dissertation Award Nomination (Marr Prize)
2021-22 External Fellowships Matching Commitment Request (GS517)
Guardian Scholars and Guardian Professions Emergency Grant Program
2022-23 Graduate Student Fellowship Payment Request (GS503)
Graduate Studies Banner Fund Code Request
Graduate Studies Banner Fellowship Allocation Request 
Substitute/Divert Nonresident Supplemental Tuition Remission Request (GS513)

Master's Report & PhD Final Exam

Report of Final Examination for Ph.D., Plan A (GS325)
Report of Final Examination for Ph.D., Plan C (GS326)
Master of Fine Arts Report (GS340) 
Master's Report Form - Plan II (GS315)

Petitions & Exceptions

Grading Option Change Petition (GS336)
Incomplete Grade Extension Request (GS334)
Permission to Drop (PTD) Petition (GS316)
Petition for Change of Graduate Major, Degree Objective, Multiple Graduate Majors, or Multiple Degree Objectives (GS301)
Petition for Exception to Policy (PEP) (GS317)
Petition to Transfer Coursework (GS318)
Time to Degree Extension Form (GS348) 
Variable Unit Change Petition (GS337)

Postdoctoral Scholars 

External Fellowship/Grant Application Data (GS500)
Postdoctoral Scholar Annual Review (GS107)
Postdoctoral Scholar Appointment/Action (GS109)
Postdoctoral Scholar Appointment Letter Template (GS100) 
Postdoctoral Scholar Petition for Exception to Policy (GS108)

Qualifying Exams

Qualifying Examination Application (GS319)
QE Committee Member Remote Participation Request (GS342)
Qualifying Exam Report (GS343) 
SECOND Qualifying Exam Report (GS344)

Registration & Holds

Filing Fee Application and Regulations (GS305) 
In Absentia Registration (GS308)
Intercampus Exchange Program Application
Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP) (GS338)
PELP Time Extension Request (GS349)
Readmission Application (GS307)
Recommendation for Release of Academic Hold (GS329)
Coursework Only Hold Release (request from