Test Score Requirements
Graduate Record Examination Requirements and Minimums
Some graduate programs require the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test and some also require the subject test. The university does not have a required minimum GRE score, but some graduate programs may post minimum or average scores on their website. Visit the graduate program website to determine if the program requires the GRE and for information on minimum scores. We accept GRE® General Test both at a test center and at-home version.
- GRE Campus Code: 4834.
- No department code is required.
Click here to see whether the program you are interested in requires the GRE for 2024-2025 Admissions.
Domestic applicants with financial hardship may contact ETS to explore their GRE® Fee Reduction Program.
Sending Your GRE Test Scores to UC Davis
GRE scores must be sent to UC Davis electronically from ETS. You do not need to list a department code.
GRE Campus Code: 4834.
No department code required.
Your GRE scores will be transmitted to UC Davis electronically and matched to your applicant record using the information you provided in your application. If you apply to more than one graduate program, you only need to send one GRE score to UC Davis
- Submitting Multiple GRE Scores
- You may take the GRE more than once and self-report and send multiple exam scores. If you have already submitted GRE scores, but have since re-taken your exam and sent your new scores to UC Davis, your new scores will be added to your application record. However, we suggest contacting the graduate program to confirm your new scores will arrive in time to be considered for admission.
English Language Testing Requirements
Applicants are exempt from the English language examination requirement if they have earned or will be earning a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree from either:
- A regionally accredited U.S. college or university where English is the sole language of instruction, or
- A foreign college or university which provides instruction solely in English. UC Davis Graduate Studies will only approve waivers for foreign colleges and universities which list English as the sole language of instruction in the IAU World Higher Education Database (WHED). If English is not the sole language of instruction listed (or if no language is listed at all), the waiver does not apply. No other documentation (e.g. letters, language certificates, school websites) will be reviewed or accepted.
Applicants who do not meet one of the criteria above are required to submit English language test scores. UC Davis accepts the TOEFL iBT, IELTS Academic and Indicator exam, and the Duolingo English Test. Visit our English Language Testing Requirements page to learn more.
California Teaching Credential applicants must submit their California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) or California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET) scores directly to the UC Davis School of Education. Visit the Teaching Credential Program Admissions page for more information.